Cake baking has been around for decades and so has the means of baking.
Before the invention of gas and electric ovens, Cakes and other snacks were baked successfully on the stove top and also enjoyed by all.
And even with the new inventions, we can always fall back on the old baking methods, whenever we simply run out of electric power/gas or when our conventional ovens fail us (just like it happened to me yesterday☺).
So here’s how to bake cake without an oven.
To bake cake without an oven, you’ll need:
For the Cake Batter:
– 300 grams Plain flour or Cake flour
– 150 grams Sugar
– 3 eggs
– 120 grams Butter
– 3 tablespoonful Milk(optional)
– 1 leveled tablespoon Baking Powder
– Flavor of choice( I used vanilla)
– 1 teaspoon browning (see how to make cake browning)
You can also make use of any of these cake recipes;Banana Cake, Apple Cake or Fruit Cake recipe.
For Baking the Cake you’ll need:
– A large aluminium pot with a lid(cover) (preferably an old clean pot)
– A rack or an aluminum bowl that can fit into the pot
– Foil paper(optional)
– Medium sized gravel stones, flat bricks or sand can also used as a base for the pot, but be very careful when making use of sand because it can accidentally get into the cake batter(you know we can never be careful enough).
If you plan to bake cake with sand or stones, click here for step by step procedures and video recipe and Don’t forget to wash the gravel stones thoroughly and also make use of ”clean” sand(without dirt/debris).
1. First prepare your baking pan by either lining with a parchment paper or greasing with butter and then dusting lightly with flour.
Next, place an iron rack (or high aluminum plate or iron gauze) into a clean empty wide pot, cover the pot really tight and preheat on high heat for 10 minutes
While the pot is heating up, beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl, until creamy; add the eggs and beat well; add the milk,flavor and coloring, also beat well and finally sift in the baking powder and flour. Combine all together and pour into the prepared baking pan
2. Carefully, open the now hot pot and place your cake pan on the hot rack .
Tip: You can cover the pot with a foil (before placing the lid)to prevent heat from escaping through the sides of the lid)
Important: Never place the cake pan directly on the bottom of the pot, or the cake will burn. Always make sure there is a seperation between the cake pan and the hot pot or sand.
3. Now cover the pot again and leave the cake to bake well on medium heat for about 5 minutes, then reduce to low heat and let the cake continue baking for 15 to 30 minutes (depending on the size of the cake you are baking) .
Tip: if you are using foil plate as a baking pan,you’ll have to check the cake earlier,’cos the cake will get done faster in a foil plate.
4. After 15 minutes open up the pot and check for doneness by dipping the center with a skewer/toothpick.
If the skewer comes out clean, then the cake is done baking, but if it comes out moist, let the cake bake a little longer and test with the skewer again, after 5 minutes.
This cake took about 30 minutes.
5. When the cake is done,take it out of the hot pot and leave to done, take it out of the hot pot and leave to cool for 10 minutes before turning it over on a cake rack or plate.
Serve and enjoy